lunes, 29 de mayo de 2017

RELATIVE CLAUSES

Dear students,

Today we are going to study relative clauses. Relative clauses are introduced by a relative pronoun:


WHO
people
This is the teacher who makes videos for her students🎬
WHICH
things
The car which is parked here belongs to my dad🚗
THAT
people or things in defining relative clauses
This is the teacher that makes videos for her students
The car that is parked here belongs to my dad
WHERE
Place
Valladolid is the town where I was born👶
WHEN
Time
I’ll never forget the day when we met.😍
WHY
Reason
That is the reason why I want to learn English📚✈
WHOSE
Possession
The boy whose father is a cop never comes to class👮
WHOM
preposition + who
This is the guy with whom I am in love.💖
(This is the guy who I am in love with)

 There are two types of relative clauses: defining and non- defining.

DEFINING RELATIVE CLAUSES
  1. They give ESSENTIAL information.
  2. That can substitute who and which.
  3. Who, which, that and when can be omitted.
These are the students who/that are studying Bachillerato.
These are the students (who/that) I teach.

NON-DEFINING RELATIVE CLAUSES
  1. They give EXTRA information.
  2. The relative clause is written between commas.
  3. That cannot substitute who or which.
  4. The relative pronoun can't be omitted.
These students, who are very nice, are studying Bachillerato.

As you see, relative clauses are quite simple. You shouldn't have any problem with them! 

Here you have the link to the PREZI: Link

Here you have the video with explanations in Spanish. It was made with love for all of you but especially for Thais 😉.

And here you have several links with exercises to practise. I really hope you find them useful!

Exercise 1 (online)
Exercise 2 (test online)
Exercise 3 (test online)


Natalia



2 comentarios:

  1. Hola profe ¿whom lo podría utilizar como who ?

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Whom es como Who pero si delante tenemos una preposición:
      This is the girl who I talked to at the party.

      This is the girl to whom I talked at the party.

      Eliminar